Title Unknown, Bethanny Spielman

Woman in Blue

She looks at me with her nearly closed
right eye, her left eye nothing but a gray
flap.  She tries to speak but hasn’t enough
of a mouth.  Who are the man and woman
behind her?  Pale faces, bodies melting,
the woman bubbling like champagne.
Clouds of smoke hover.  Are we allowed
to smoke?  I wouldn’t mind a cigarette

right now.  A vodka martini wouldn’t be
bad either.  These free-floating colors
don’t make sense.  Some bear resemblance
to human bodies but as hard as I try,
I can’t hold them together.  A cat white
as ermine stretches atop something blue. 
I hate cats.  At least this one isn’t black. 
A star once lived in the center of my mind. 

I didn’t see the supernova, but I know
there’s a black hole in my brain sucking out
memories.  I feel the hollow each one
leaves behind.  If I could, I’d leave,
but where would I go?  I can’t run. 
My legs and feet are rubbish.  I thought
this was a party.  The only treats I see are
those things in front of the woman in blue.

They look like cupcakes, devil’s food on
the bottom and a slathering of blue on top.
I’m not going to eat one of those lopsided
things.  They shouldn’t be there anyway.
That’s an ironing board, for God’s sake!

Pat Martin